In the last decade of 1999 the Constitutional court adopted a resolution on the conformity of provisions of the Law on Courts with the Constitution. The present and subsequent resolutions declare that only independent judicial institutional system may guarantee the autonomy of court organisation, so as organise the court administration without the infringement of judges’ independence. Additionally, in accordance with legal regulations identified by the law national institutions that secure the independence of court administration shall be situated alongside the judicial government.
On 14th March, 2002 Valdas Adamkus, President of the Republic of Lithuania signed the Law on the National Courts Administration and since 1st May 2002 authorized a newly formed institution, which is independent from the executive authorities – the National Courts Administration – to provide services to the institutions of autonomy of courts in pursuance of ensuring the efficiency of the court system, its government and organisation of work as well as the independence of judges and autonomy of courts.
The intention of the National Courts Administration is to comprehensively ensure the fluent work of the autonomy institutions, strengthen the national court system and improve the working conditions of courts.
The main activity spheres of the National Courts Administration:
- Help to secure the independence of courts and judges, courts’ organisational autonomy;
- Upon its competence to ensure the close interrelations among courts and institutions of autonomy of courts;
- Help institutions of autonomy of courts to implement the assigned functions;
- Upon its competence to secure the fluent formation of the judiciary;
- Organise and ensure a centralized system of material-technical supply to courts;
- Ensure the award of the judicial retirement pensions;
- In order to ensure effective and rational management and use of state finances, it organise the implementation of the draft state budget, estimate drafts of the programmes and investment programmes of courts;
- Form and implement the strategy of common court information system;
- Aim for the effective functioning of the judicial system of the Republic of Lithuania;
- Conduct the internal audit in courts of the Republic of Lithuania.