The Selection Commission of Candidates to Judicial Office (hereinafter – the Selection Commission) in accordance with regulations of Article 551 of the Law on Courts is the Commission the aim of which shall be to help the President of the Republic in selecting the candidates for judicial office (Chairmen of courts, Vice Chairmen of courts, Chairmen of the Divisions).
The Selection Commission shall be composed of seven persons and formed for a period of three years by the President of the Republic. Three members of the Selection Commission shall be judges and four members shall be the representatives of the society. The President of the Republic shall appoint the Chairman of the Selection Commission from among the members of the Commission. Members of the Judicial Council may not be appointed members of the Selection Commission. The National Courts Administration shall provide services to the Selection Commission.The Selection Commission in its activities shall follow the Constitution of the Republic of Lithuania, the Law on Courts, other laws and legal acts of the Republic, the description of the procedure of Selection Commission, the selection criteria for candidates to the judicial office at a district court approved by the President, the selection provisions for persons seeking judicial promotion approved by the Judicial Council and the assessment criteria for persons seeking judicial promotion.
Activities of the Selection Commission shall be based on the principles of collegiality, impartiality, independence, objectivity and legality.
The Commission shall be liable for the following selection procedures:
- Selection of candidates to the judicial office at a district court;
- Selection of persons seeking judicial promotion i.e. candidates to the judicial office at regional court, regional administrative court, the court of appeal and the supreme administrative court of the Republic of Lithuania;
- Selection of judges seeking judicial promotion at a court of the same level, i.e. candidates to the judicial office of Chairman, Vice Chairman or Chairman of the division at district court, regional court, regional administrative court, the supreme administrative court and the court of appeal of the Republic of Lithuania;
- Selection of judges willing to be transferred to another court of the same level or a court of the same level but another jurisdiction;
- Selection of judges willing to be appointed a judge of any lower court or a court of the lower level but another jurisdiction: any judges of higher courts who were dismissed on their request, appointed to other judicial office or transferred to other office on their request, willing to be appointed to court of the same level or court of a lower level if less than five years have lapsed from the end of his service as a judge.
Selection Criteria for Candidates to the Judicial Office at a District Court
Regulations for the Selection of Persons Seeking the Career as a Judge
Work Description of the Selection Commission of Candidates to Judicial Office
Rules of Procedure of the Commission on the Selection of Candidates for Judicial Office
Criteria for the Evaluation of Persons Seeking a Judicial Career and Seeking to be Transferred or Appointed to Another Court